Key Dates

7th century

Saxon settlement on Molesey Hurst ends

(Giles Pattison)

672 First mention of Mulesei (Mul’s island or dry ground) in Chertsey Abbey charter
   
1086 At the time of the Domesday Survey, Molesey was divided between three lords of the manor. 23 villeins, 8 bordars, 9 cottars and 8 serfs performed services for them. The population probably numbered around 200 people
c1130 The manorial lands of Engelram d’Abernon gifted to Merton Priory who now own the manor, which comes to be named the Manor of Molesey Priory, for the next 400 years